Have you ever wondered how bloggers manage to write articles for those big blogs?
Perhaps you think it’s reserved for the “cool kids”.
Well, it’s not. In fact, it’s super easy and if you know how to entice the editor with your pitch then you can get in.
So by the end of this article, you’ll know how to secure guest posts that’ll drive more traffic to your site.
Now let’s dive into the meat and potatoes…
2 Kinds of Blogs You’ll Face
So first you need to know that there are actually 2 kinds of blogs you’ll come across. The ones who have a page with their guidelines and blogs that don’t have any formal guidelines.
Type 1: Blogs With No Guidelines
Let’s start with the one you’re most likely here for and that’s how to craft a pitch to a blog you know accept guest posts but they don’t tell you how. So here’s the format.
- Hey, Brief intro about yourself (& genuine compliment if relevant)
- 3-5 ideas
- Previous posts you’ve written
And some things that really help too:
- Social links in signature
- Using a branded domain email
- You could mention how you’ll add value (promotion etc)
- Follow up after a week
Here’s an example:
BTW I’ve made a video on this showing you a longer version of the pitch and the thought process behind writing it.
You can check that out here:
Now for the second type of blog.
Type 2: Blogs With Guidelines
It’s pretty straight forward with these blogs. You just follow the guidelines.
In case you’re wondering how to even find these blogs then I’ve made a video on that too here [which includes some search hacks you can use to find those pages]:
But blogs with guidelines can either be for guest posts or for a contributor account or both.
Usually, blogs that are looking for contributors will have a formal application process and will expect you to write an article every few months or so.
On the other hand, blogs that have guidelines for guest posts or a “write for us” page don’t have any expectations for commitment. But I mean if it’s a great blog you can always come back and write more for them.
Some things to bear in mind:
- Create a Gravatar account with a professional photo as this will be displayed in your author bio
- Remember with guest blogging it’s all about consistency. The marketing rule of 7 says that people need to see you 7 times before they take action on your offer. So stay consistent until you’re visible and recognized in your space and people take action on the offer in your bio.
So there you have it.
Nice easy and simple.
You’re ready to take action.
Send out your first pitch today. It’s the only way you’ll progress.